[K12OSN] stupid mail question

Can someone tell me how to get any mail programs (mozilla mail or netscape mail)
to access sendmail for all our inhouse e-mail needs.
  At the moment all e-mail stays within the k12 server. I just want the teacher and
kids to be able to mail each other.
  I tried to teach them to use pine,  but they all backed way off when it came to
command line operations.
  I have tried everything I can think of in the config fields for the send and receive
server fields in both mozilla and netscape config windows.

 Thanks,
Duane Wilson