Re: [K12OSN] Thinner version of LTSP

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, David Trask wrote:

> k12osn redhat com writes:
> >We are using the X protocol.  It's a bit bulky, but it does get
> >the job done.  And, i've got a network with over 120 workstations
> >on it, and about 60 of them are running 10mbit and I get zero
> >complaints about the performance.
> >
> >Jim McQuill
>
> Can you give us more specifics....how do you use the X protocol as opposed
> to whatever is the default in LTSP.  How do you have your 10baseT network
> setup so that performance doesn't suffer?

The X protocol IS what we are using.

As for the network with the 120 workstations, it is nothing fancy.

If I sit down to a 10mbit workstation, I can notice that it isn't
as fast as the 100mbit workstations, but the users don't seem to
mind.  They sit there, getting their jobs done every day using
it.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org