Re: [K12OSN] Almost ready for v2.1.2

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 jam McQuil com wrote:

> But that command only needs to be run 1 time.  Right after
> the install.  No point in adding it to any init scripts.

If the post install scripts were perfect and always worked,
you are of course right -- but rebulding the dynamic linker
run-time bindings for that chroot is (and must be) harmless,
or there is a deeper problem.

By adding it to the boot process, one designs OUT support
load.  This is, or to my thinking, should be, a design
precept and goal of every designer and sysadmin

In a traditional Unix, one clears /tmp as a matter of course
for the same reason; in the various Linux implementations,
startup /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit cleans up after a lot of 'cruft'.
This is just one more thing of that type.

If it already were present, this thread would not exist -- it
would 'just work'.  It would fix existing installs with
software added externally to any given packager.  ltsp.org is
one, k12tlsp is another, the add-ins I package are yet more.

My $0.02

-- Russ Herrold