From: Chris Hobbs [mailto:chobbs silvervalley k12 ca us]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 9:08 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: [K12OSN] [OT] Routing question

A vendor is sticking a black box on our network (one which I have no
control over) which has several open ports to the Internet - I don't
trust it.

I built a linux router (based on RH8.0, but stripped waaaaay down) which

sits between it and the rest of our network. It does not firewall, it
simply drops routes to our internal network, effectively making us
invisible to the box, while still allowing the box to see the rest of
the world - it works exactly as I had designed in that regard.

However, the router is introducing serious bandwidth and latency issues.

The router is actually a dual P3-450 with 512MB of Ram (talk about
overkill!), and our Internet connection is a T-1.

The box is a video conferencing unit, so it is sensitive to latency in a

big way, and it also wants bandwidth. Sitting on the black-box behind
the router, download speeds from a test site ranged from 80-110KB/s,
varying dramatically  over the course of the download. Downloading from
the router itself or another machine on our network not behind the
router resulted in downloads at a consistent 155-165KB/s, or the full
T-1. These tests were back-to-back, so it wasn't luck of the draw on the

Internet connection.

So, the router is definitely injecting some delays.

Anyone have any suggestions on tuning the router? Or better, point me to

a great resource online (web or e-mail list)?

Thanks for the help!

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator