Re: [K12OSN] Almost ready for v2.1.2

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, R P Herrold wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 jam McQuil com wrote:
>
>> But that command only needs to be run 1 time.  Right after
>> the install.  No point in adding it to any init scripts.
>
>If the post install scripts were perfect and always worked,
>you are of course right -- but rebulding the dynamic linker
>run-time bindings for that chroot is (and must be) harmless,
>or there is a deeper problem.

Is it harmless? It is obviously ok if the server & the terminals are
the same architecture, but what if they are different?

Will "ldconfig -r /opt/ltsp/sparc" work if the server is an i386?

Or better yet, will "ldconfig -r /opt/ltsp/i386" work if the server is
an IBM 390? Or a HP9000 runing HP-UX? Or a Sparc running Solaris?

It seems to me that the right way to deal with this is have the client
run ldconfig itself. This avoids all of the cross-platform issues:

	cp /sbin/ldconfig /opt/ltsp/i386/sbin/  # the i386 version of ldconfig!
	cd /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/
	rm -f /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ld.so.cache
	ln -s /tmp/ld.so.cache /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ld.so.cache

and then edit /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.local, adding the following line right
after the "Creating ramdisk on /tmp" section (about line 69):

	/sbin/ldconfig -C /tmp/ld.so.cache

-Eric