Re: [K12OSN] Almost ready for v2.1.2

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Eric Harrison wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, R P Herrold wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 jam McQuil com wrote:
> >
> >> But that command only needs to be run 1 time.  Right after
> >> the install.  No point in adding it to any init scripts.
> >
> >If the post install scripts were perfect and always worked,
> >you are of course right -- but rebulding the dynamic linker
> >run-time bindings for that chroot is (and must be) harmless,
> >or there is a deeper problem.
>
> Is it harmless? It is obviously ok if the server & the terminals are
> the same architecture, but what if they are different?
>
> Will "ldconfig -r /opt/ltsp/sparc" work if the server is an i386?
>
> Or better yet, will "ldconfig -r /opt/ltsp/i386" work if the server is
> an IBM 390? Or a HP9000 runing HP-UX? Or a Sparc running Solaris?
>
> It seems to me that the right way to deal with this is have the client
> run ldconfig itself. This avoids all of the cross-platform issues:
>
> 	cp /sbin/ldconfig /opt/ltsp/i386/sbin/  # the i386 version of ldconfig!
> 	cd /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/
> 	rm -f /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ld.so.cache
> 	ln -s /tmp/ld.so.cache /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ld.so.cache
>
> and then edit /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.local, adding the following line right
> after the "Creating ramdisk on /tmp" section (about line 69):
>
> 	/sbin/ldconfig -C /tmp/ld.so.cache

Hmm, also very interesting.

Seems like a nice feature to add to LTSP-4.0.  In fact, the ldconfig
binary is already in place on LTSP 4.0, so it would be easy
to add that to the rc.local script.  Which brings up another
small point.  In 4.0, the script will be called rc.sysinit instead
of rc.local.  I don't know what I was thinking back in those
early days.  the rc.local file should really be for local changes
that a sysadmin makes.  the rc.sysinit should never need to
be touched.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org