Re: [K12OSN] News Server

Take a look at Manhattan, it might be just what you are looking for.

Manhattan runs on Linux servers The Manhattan Virtual Classroom is a
password protected, web-based virtual classroom system that includes a
variety of discussion groups, live chat, areas for the teacher to post
the syllabus and other handouts and notices, a module for organizing
online assignments, a grades module, and a unique, web-based email
system open only to students in the class. Developed at Western New
England College, Manhattan is free, and is released under the GNU
General Public License.

http://manhattan.sourceforge.net/