RE: [K12OSN] a DHCP Question and a user management

Our use here is mostly for network testing and measurement (I use ethereal
among other little network apps) to sniff on our network.  We are in the
high tech market making radio frequency measurement equipment.  The ltsp
stuff is JUST for the IT department at present.  We have an app (sbclient)
that doesn't run well under wine otherwise we would roll this out to all our
old 133 stations on the shop floor.

I have an NT box pushing dhcp to all the clients (about 180) right now.  I
have made the NT dhcp box send the right options to the client.

The way I run it now, the ltsp server runs dhcp, but instead of specifying a
range of IP's, I only have a few static ip's listed for specific
workstations.  For whatever reason, the clients always take that address
first.  I'm not sure why that is at the moment.  I haven't read enough on
dhcp to realize if it's preferential to a server type or a server that knows
it's MAC address.  Could be?  Someone else here might know better than I.

My NT clients are on a different range of addresses, but all on the same
subnet as my ltsp stuff.

Let me know, I can send along my dhcpd.conf file if you want to take a look
at it.  It is simple really, I just tweaked it till it worked that way I
wanted it too.

In short:  Everyone can get DHCP from my main NT box.  Only a few specific
workstations can get dhcp from the ltsp server.  It will not respond to
anything other than the specific MAC addresses I have listed in my
dhcpd.conf.

I hope this makes some sense :)  it makes sense in my head  haha

-Matt