Re: [K12OSN] a DHCP Question and a user management

Steven Santos wrote:

From: Matt Loretitsch <matt bird-technologies com>

Has anyone responded to you about the DHCP thing yet? I do use it here at work with an NT dhcp box.

-Matt

[...] I can't replace the DHCP server on this
network, as the contract with the ISP has some funny clauses in it, and the
wiring will not permit the normal 2 NIC setup.  Any advice would be appreciated.

There are issues running NT/W2K DHCPd alongside K12LTSP/Linux.

I have a similar installation.. unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge to tune the win DHCPd system, but it goes something like this ;

On the win DHCPd, class-out your clients so this DHCPd will only respond to CLASS="MSFT"; The booting LTSP/Linux clients will then be ignored by the win box.

On the K12LTSP system, simply do the reverse, along the lines of (non-production-ready example follows) ;

class "eb-clients" {
match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "Etherboot";
}

class "linux-dhcpc" {
match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 5) = "Linux";
}

class "ms-clients" {
        match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 4) = "MSFT";
       }

class "PXEClients" {
match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient";
}

# and then...

shared-network WORKSTATIONS {
 subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

pool {
         allow members of "eb-clients";
         allow members of "linux-dhcpc";
         allow members of "PXEClients";
         deny members of "ms-clients";

         range dynamic-bootp 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.253;
  }

#
#

This is all explained with great detail, in `man dhcpd.conf` and `man dhcp-options`

Sorry I can't help with the win side of things - I have no knowledge of this, and as such, I wouldn't consider laying a finger on a production win server.
I have viewed the DHCPd configuration screen on W2K, and all the classing options are there, but I won't touch it.

Perhaps some knowledgeable winNT/2K sysadmin on-list can assist further, as this is an ongoing situation that is becoming somewhat of a FAQ here.

HTH,
Steve