Re: [K12OSN] Network Bandwith

Charles Howes wrote:

I am new to the K12ltsp-os thing and I think its great.

One question:

How many clients can you support with what type of server and what type of
network. I have talking to people promoting this but they all ask, "won't
the network get clogged?"

As is the usual, it depends on how much speed you want, and how complex a desktop you want to provide for the terminals.

If you were to use a medium to high-end desktop PC for the server, with 512MB of RAM, you would be able to run 5-10 terminals with modern desktops such as KDE3. This system would not be exceedingly quick, but it would be perfectly acceptable to most users.

Applications come into the equation as well, as there is a big difference between running mozilla or openoffice (large) and the smaller apps such as koffice (smaller, fast.)

Server-Class hardware such as dual/quad Xeon/XP/P3 + SCSI 160 has proved to be far more agile under heavy load, and does not lose performance so quickly when loaded, compared to single processor / IDE systems.

New 100MBit network cards are cheap enough, so unless you have dozens of free 10MBit ones.. 10MBit cards work ok, but with terminals running in 800x600x16bit and above, they start to get sluggish with noticeable redraw times.

For the network side, you must not use a "hub". Use a proper "network switch" at all costs. For only 10-15 terminals, an off-the-shelf 100MBit full-duplex switch, with the appropriate number of ports will be fine. For more than that, or if you have performance problems traceable to your network, then a switch that supports a GigaBit uplink will help.

There are LTSP installations with 600 plus terminals, so most scenarios can be catered for. The engineering requirements for this are quite severe, however.

HTH, Steve