Re: [K12OSN] Just getting started

Dave Prentice wrote:

    I sent this once but never saw a response. Here goes again:
1. I have now set up a dual PII 350mhz with 512meg RAM and 8gig hard
drive space with K12LTSP runing RH7.3. Am I correct in understanding
that 512meg should allow about 10 clients?

Dave,

That depends what you want to do with it and how much performance you expect from it.

If it turns out to be too sluggish running the KDE desktop, then try Gnome. There are even skinnier desktops to try, so you have options.

2. Now that the (planned) server is running fine as a standalone,
where can I find a HOWTO describing the steps needed to configure it
to start supporting clients? Likewise, where is a HOWTO on exactly how
to configure each client?

8-) It's ready to go !

Tell us what type of clients you want to boot from it, and we'll point you in the right direction.

3. Can the server be used to run X at my desk while it is supporting
clients, or does it have to be left alone for server duty only?

Yes, you can log in on the Server Console and use X. There are minor points for and against, but you should have no issues doing that, and you can do no harm.

All the best,
Steve