RE: [K12OSN] a DHCP Question and a user management

> From: Matt Loretitsch <matt bird-technologies com>
> To: "'k12osn redhat com'" <k12osn redhat com>
> Subject: RE: [K12OSN] a DHCP Question and a user management
> Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:24:32 -0500
>
> Our use here is mostly for network testing and measurement (I use ethereal
> among other little network apps) to sniff on our network.  We are in the
> high tech market making radio frequency measurement equipment.  The ltsp
> stuff is JUST for the IT department at present.  We have an app (sbclient)
> that doesn't run well under wine otherwise we would roll this out to all our
> old 133 stations on the shop floor.

> I have an NT box pushing dhcp to all the clients (about 180) right now.  I
> have made the NT dhcp box send the right options to the client.

> The way I run it now, the ltsp server runs dhcp, but instead of specifying a
> range of IP's, I only have a few static ip's listed for specific
> workstations.  For whatever reason, the clients always take that address
> first.  I'm not sure why that is at the moment.  I haven't read enough on
> dhcp to realize if it's preferential to a server type or a server that knows
> it's MAC address.  Could be?  Someone else here might know better than I.

> My NT clients are on a different range of addresses, but all
> on the same subnet as my ltsp stuff.

> Let me know, I can send along my dhcpd.conf file if you want to take a look
> at it.  It is simple really, I just tweaked it till it worked that way I
> wanted it too.

I would LOVE to see your dhcpd.conf file, as I can only think of 3 ways this can
work (unless I am missing something, which is the most likely answer)

1. your NT box set up to only assign DHCP leases to registered MAC addresses, or
2. Your NT box is set up to ignore those MAC addresses that the LTSP server
uses, or
3. Your LTSP server just responds faster to requests than the NT box does

1. is more time than they will pay for, and I suspect more time than you would
have spent on this
2. I have never thought of, I am not sure how I would go about doing, but am
going to look into it
3. is the most obvious answer, but I would not want to do this in an unattended
network for obvious reasons

> In short:  Everyone can get DHCP from my main NT box.  Only a few specific
> workstations can get dhcp from the ltsp server.  It will not respond to
> anything other than the specific MAC addresses I have listed in my
> dhcpd.conf.

> I hope this makes some sense :)  it makes sense in my head  haha

It does, and it raises some interesting possibilities.  Thanks!

Steven Santos

Email : Steven StevenSantos com
Web   : www.stevensantos.com
Postal: PO Box 620753