Re: [K12OSN] 16 bit color with Cirrus Logic 542/3/4X?

Dan Young wrote:
Well, I tried another Dell 486-turned-Pentium unit we had after I
installed the  newest ltsp kernel package, and I have managed to get it
to boot all the way to  the login screen.  However, I had to make the
following changes to lts.conf to  get it to work, and then only in 8 bit
color.  It has an onboard Cirrus Logic  gd5429 chipset, I think.  If
not, it's a close relative.

I've been working on getting the Cirrus Logic GD54M40 video in our donated
Unisys terminals to play nice. After futzing around w/ some modelines
using the Xfree modeline generator
(http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl), googling for the
video chipset, and stealing some of your config, I came up with this:

[ws001]
        XSERVER=XF86_SVGA
        X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
        X_HORZSYNC=31-62
        X_VERTREFRESH=55-90
        X_RES_1=800x600 74 49.50 800 832 1016 1048 600 611 619 631

800 x 600 and 16-bit color. I'm a happy guy again. Dunno if the GD54M40 is
close enough to the same animal as yours to be useful. Hope this helps.

A follow-up to my reply re: Cirrus Logic video on LTSP:

I've tried the above modeline with the Cirrus Logic GD5436 video on an old Compaq Deskpro P133 also with success. No extra XFree86 config file needed. Again 800 x 600 w/ 16-bit color. Hope this is helpful to those w/ lots of Cirrus Logic stuff. I knwo we have a bunch of these Deskpros I'd like to use as terminals.

Can anybody try this on other GD5XXX hardware and report back, for the archives?

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District