Re: [K12OSN] Network Bandwith

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Charles Howes wrote:

> I am new to the K12ltsp-os thing and I think its great.
>
> One question:
>
> How many clients can you support with what type of server and what type of
> network. I have talking to people promoting this but they all ask, "won't
> the network get clogged?"

If you are talking about the network as a whole, no.  K12LTSP sets up it's
own internal network for the X-Windows traffic.  Whether or not the
K12LTSP network gets clogged depends on many things including bandwidth,
what applications you are running, how many clients, etc.

For what it's worth, in a simple test setup with two machines, the remote
machine actually had _better_ response time than the server (presumably
since it was ONLY redrawing the display and had nothing better to do than
be responsive).

Jon