Re: [K12OSN] request for k12ltsp kernel .config file....was linuxprogress patch

well, I guess I need a bit of detail...

I decided to just get a kernel to boot, that was custom compiled, that did not have lpp in it, so I can just see if I'm doing things right.

so, I have the source, installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-ltsp
i got the config file from the ltsp_initrd_kit,
I did make xconfig, and loaded the config file(renamed to .config)
I then saved, and exited.
make dep;make clean;make -j3 bzImage;make modules;make modules_install

then, I took the resultant bzImage,
and from the ltsp kernel howto,
I did
mknbi-linux --rootdir=/tftpboot/lts/pxe --ipaddrs=rom \
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-ltsp/arch/i386/boot/bzImage > /tftpboot/lts/pxe/vmlinuz-2.4.18-nolpp

then I changed the /tftpboot/lts/pxe/pxelinux.cfg/default file to read:
label linux
 kernel vmlinuz-2.4.18-nolpp
 append root=/dev/ram0 rw init=/linuxrc

which is what was therebefore, minus the ramdisk entry, and the kernel name different...

now, I would assume that the pxe booting client would need a ramdisk, bu tI don't see in the howto where it says to generate one, unless the mknbi part is doing that...

All I get is a screen full of colored ascii characters...

now, when I take the kernel without the mknbi, and just copy the bzImage to /tftpboot/lts/pxe, and point the default file to that, it boots further, then freezes(because of drivers, or ramdisk situation), but it goes further than the mknbi one.

What am I doing wrong.....
or better question, what is my thick head missing on the boot procedure...?

Eric,
Can you detail the steps to getting custom kernels to boot with PXE?

Thanks,
Barry Smoke
District Network Administrator
Bryant Public Schools