Re: [K12OSN] request for k12ltsp kernel .config file....was linuxprogress patch

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Barry Smoke wrote:

> well, I guess I need a bit of detail...
>
> I decided to just get a kernel to boot, that was custom compiled, that
> did not have lpp in it, so I can just see if I'm doing things right.
>
> so, I have the source, installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-ltsp
> i got the config file from the ltsp_initrd_kit,
> I did make xconfig, and loaded the config file(renamed to .config)
> I then saved, and exited.
> make dep;make clean;make -j3 bzImage;make modules;make modules_install
>
> then, I took the resultant bzImage,
> and from the ltsp kernel howto,
> I did
> mknbi-linux  --rootdir=/tftpboot/lts/pxe --ipaddrs=rom \
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-ltsp/arch/i386/boot/bzImage >
> /tftpboot/lts/pxe/vmlinuz-2.4.18-nolpp

You are mixing PXE and mknbi, no need.  mknbi is used when booting
with Etherboot.  Not needed with PXE.

> then I changed the /tftpboot/lts/pxe/pxelinux.cfg/default file to read:
> label linux
>   kernel vmlinuz-2.4.18-nolpp
>   append root=/dev/ram0 rw init=/linuxrc
>
> which is what was therebefore, minus the ramdisk entry, and the kernel
> name different...
>
> now, I would assume that the pxe booting client would need a ramdisk, bu
> tI don't see in the howto where it says to generate one, unless the
> mknbi part is doing that...
>
> All I get is a screen full of colored ascii characters...
>
> now, when I take the kernel without the mknbi, and just copy the bzImage
> to /tftpboot/lts/pxe, and point the default file to that, it boots
> further, then freezes(because of drivers, or ramdisk situation), but it
> goes further than the mknbi one.

Details here would help alot, we can't diagnose a 'freezes because
of drivers' problem without details.

> What am I doing wrong.....
> or better question, what is my thick head missing on the boot procedure...?

Grab the pxestuff package, it contains a readme and the config files
that you need to do it.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org