Re: [K12OSN] Switches with gigabit uplink

Linksys makes both cards and switches.  They have an 8-port switch with a
gigabit uplink (model EG0801W) which pricewatch.com lists for about $125
US.  Linksys also has a 24-port unmanaged switch with two gigabit uplink
ports (model EF24G2) which pricewatch.com lists for about $475 US.

Linksys has both 32-bit PCI and 64-bit PCI gigabit network cards.  Both
are again listed on pricewatch.com for about $80.

I'm sure many of the other less expensive switch manufacturers like Ark,
Trendnet, D-Link, etc., make comparable hardware.

Note that I have not used gigabit cards under linux yet.  Also, once upon
a time I stumbled across a review on several different gigabit network
cards, and I seem to recall that the cheapest cards tended to top out at
about 400-500 mbit rather than true gigabit speeds.  They also tended to
start dropping lots of packets under very heavy loads.  Sadly, I can't
find the review.  I did find this review that may be of assistance
however:

http://www.iarchive.com/newsarticles/industry/06-19-01-giggy.htm

Here's a linux network card compatibility list that mentions gigabit
network cards:

http://www.scyld.com/network/index.html

Jeff