From: Daniel Loomis [mailto:dloomis cox-internet com]
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 2:10 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: [K12OSN] Switches with gigabit uplink

I have read several contributors' suggestion that 100 mb switches with
gigabit
uplinks are a good solution for speeding up ltsp networks.  Clearly,
anything
that removes bottleneck at the switch-to-server connection offers at least
the potential for a marked speed advantage.

My question is this:  Which gigabit network cards work well on the server
and
are supported by RH Linux 7.3-8.0?  Are there any make/model specific
suggestions for an 8-16 port switch that provides 100tx ports for terminals
and at least one gigabit uplink for the server?  In keeping with the
budgeting realities most of us face, the options are not with high dollar
managed switches.

If the above cannot be obtained for under $1k (preferably under $500), most
of
us in the public and non-profit sector will not be able to consider such an
option.