Re: [K12OSN] Switches with gigabit uplink

Try this link for some (hopefully) useful info.

http://www.cs.uni.edu/~gray/gig-over-copper/

-Don

Daniel Loomis wrote:
I have read several contributors' suggestion that 100 mb switches with gigabit uplinks are a good solution for speeding up ltsp networks. Clearly, anything that removes bottleneck at the switch-to-server connection offers at least the potential for a marked speed advantage.

My question is this: Which gigabit network cards work well on the server and are supported by RH Linux 7.3-8.0? Are there any make/model specific suggestions for an 8-16 port switch that provides 100tx ports for terminals and at least one gigabit uplink for the server? In keeping with the budgeting realities most of us face, the options are not with high dollar managed switches.

If the above cannot be obtained for under $1k (preferably under $500), most of us in the public and non-profit sector will not be able to consider such an option.
Dr. Daniel Loomis
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
El Dorado, AR