RE: [K12OSN] Switches with gigabit uplink

> From: Daniel Loomis <dloomis cox-internet com>
> To: k12osn redhat com
> Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:10:19 -0600
> Subject: [K12OSN] Switches with gigabit uplink
>
> I have read several contributors' suggestion that 100 mb switches with gigabit
> uplinks are a good solution for speeding up ltsp networks.  Clearly, anything
> that removes bottleneck at the switch-to-server connection offers at least
> the potential for a marked speed advantage.

They do make a difference.

> My question is this:  Which gigabit network cards work well on the server and
> are supported by RH Linux 7.3-8.0?

The 3C996B-T works for me.  Its MSRP is about $140.00

> Are there any make/model specific suggestions for an 8-16 port switch that
> provides 100tx ports for terminals and at least one gigabit uplink for the
> server?  In keeping with the budgeting realities most of us face, the
> options are not with high dollar managed switches.

Well, for a grand you can have a decent switch:

- The 3Com SuperStack 3 4226T is a 26 port managed switch (24 10/100 plus
  2 10/100/1000) with an MSRP of $995.00

For a little over $500 you can have a decent switch:

- SuperStack 3 Baseline is a 26 port switch (24 10/100 plus 2 10/100/1000)
  with an MSRP of $595.00, but is available for $499.00 from PCMall
  [http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=752439]

- The Giga Switch CNSH-2402G is a 24 port 10/100 switch with two 1000Base-T
ports.
  $561.99 at PC Mall

For less than $200 you can even have one:

- The Giga Switch CNSH-801G is an 8 port 10/100 switch with a single 1000Base-T
  port.  $169.99 at PC Mall
  [http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=303073]

> If the above cannot be obtained for under $1k (preferably under $500), most of
> us in the public and non-profit sector will not be able to consider such an
> option.

While I prefer to use the 3Com's, I have used giga switches, and really can't
complain about them.  I guess this means that you will have to consider the
gigabit option now :)

> Dr. Daniel Loomis
> FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
> El Dorado, AR