Re: [K12OSN] a prospective client - k12ltsp and logo

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

Steve,
	some people that started in assembler became most wonderful
programmers - just look at me ;-)

8-)

	The real reson why kids, or grownups, should not start with
assembler is not that you can't write good code in it, but that you have
to be pretty darn good programmer with understanding of hardware to be
able to do this.

which means, you have to re-invent the wheel every time you want write something.

I accept assembler may have its' place when writing tight loops for hardware drivers, but cross-porting it will be a nightmare. Any "porting to Linux" usually begins with "removing all the assembler", and rewriting in a portable language.

	Basic can be an excellent tool to teach, but the expectations are
so much higher now then they were in the dark ages when the computer
memory was measured in KB, not GB that simple languages can be tought only
to adults.

Teaching what ? serial programming ? I would have to agree there.. I would also have to agree that a large programme written in a serial programming language would be a work of art (read - no one in their right mind would attempt such a monstrosity, and what about cross-porting it ?)

Object oriented programming has been around in many forms for
decades, but only in the last 5 years the computing power on the desktop
became good enough to actually teach kids. This is great. Make sure you
teach them problem solving as well, otherwise I'll keep interviewing
"programmers" that can't figure out the solution to even simplest business
problems.

I think one of the reasons O-O has become necessary is the sheer complexity and size of the code. If you cannot abstract into classes, you have a very serious problem on your hands.

I do agree that basic problem solving is relevant. If programmers can't turn boolean logic inside-out and still recognise it, they are not going to achieve the higher pay scales.

I heard the question asked "what do I teach my kids if I want them to be ready to do programming?" The answer was "Art, Music, and Logo."

cheers, Steve