Re: [K12OSN] IDE software raid

Warning:  YMMV.  Untested hypothesis follows.

I had a really good board (a Tyan tiger 130) with RAID 0 SCSI drives.
The disk performance was poor.  I was running RH 7.0.

Then I upgraded to RH 7.3, and transplanted the controller and the
drives to an el-cheapo no-name mobo,  I also went to RAID 5 with 3
drives (I added one additional drive same as the other two.)

SCSI performance went through the roof - improved by about a factor of 5
or 10 depending on which test you use.  The machine is noticeably
faster.

I don't know if the linux drivers improved so much between 2.2. kernels
and 2.4 kernels, or if the main focus is on RAID 5 rather than RAID 0,
but from my limited experience RAID 0 is not worth messing with.  Drop
another IDE controller in there, put 3 drives on three channels and the
CD ROM on the fourth and go for it.

>From what I understand, IDE can't manage different speed devices on the
same chain, so both devices on the chain run at different speeds.  A
CDROM will slow down the IDE drive on the same cable, so always put IDE
CDROMs and tape drives on their own chain.

--Yan