Re: [K12OSN] IDE software raid

Hi Yan,

At 06:21 PM 2002/11/10 -0500, Yan Seiner wrote:
- snip -

Then I upgraded to RH 7.3, and transplanted the controller and the
drives to an el-cheapo no-name mobo,  I also went to RAID 5 with 3
drives (I added one additional drive same as the other two.)

SCSI performance went through the roof - improved by about a factor of 5
or 10 depending on which test you use.  The machine is noticeably
faster.

I don't know if the linux drivers improved so much between 2.2. kernels
and 2.4 kernels, or if the main focus is on RAID 5 rather than RAID 0,
but from my limited experience RAID 0 is not worth messing with.  Drop
another IDE controller in there, put 3 drives on three channels and the
CD ROM on the fourth and go for it.

I am interested to know the connection arrangement of 3 hard drives to run RAID 5

My motherboard does not support RAID and I have to use an IDE RAID controller card which supports RAID 0, 1 and 0+1. It has 2 slots for cable connection to 2 IDE hard drives as Master. Where can I connect the 3rd drive so that they are not sharing connection as Master and Slave.

I am going to experience Software RAID 5. Kindly advise whether I can make it with only 3 drives. I am going to run RH8.0

Thanks in advance.

Stephen Liu

- snip -