Re: [K12OSN] Kids and programming

Perl is widley used, and undeniably entrenched - My chief problem with
it is their motto.  "There's More Than One Way to Do It."   I don't want
to start a war either - especially on this touchy subjects - but I would
cast a vote towards Python for a number of reasons.

  It encourages good coding habits, and a more uniform approach to
creating code.  It's has some decent building tools. You can write
object oriented, or not, and mix OO with C-Like code.  It has the
ability to [quite easily] link with C code to make much more interesting
projects.  [Mind you, not that Perl is difficult.]  It has a cool
X-Platform GUI [wxPython (using wxWindows)] that is adaptable and fast.
And last, but not least, you cantake a peice of code that someone else
wrote, and read it.

js

p.s.  My spellcheck is hosed right now, so sorry about the misspellings.

--
Joshua Schmidlkofer <menion asylumwear com>