Re: [K12OSN] Kids and programming

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 03:51:07PM +1300, Steve Wright wrote:

> I'm not a Python Person, so I am unable to give specific approval,
> although I expect it will.   I understand it is equally o-o as PHP4,
> Perl, et al.

Er... if you think PHP4 is as "equally o-o" as python, you haven't tried
to do much OO programming in PHP4. :)  I've actually contributed several
fixes to PHP over the years, and I use it frequently in my work, but I
think it's a terrible language for teaching one anything other than how to
make a dynamic website work -- quickly.  It's possible to write good code
in PHP, but most people don't; which means reading others' PHP code is a
good way to pick up bad programming habits that are hard to shake later in
life.

> I think the best overall solution is, the Kids come away from the
> exercise with a passion for writing software.

Hmm.  The ratio of passion to training in the programming world is already
a little on the high side, if you ask me. :)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer