Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP Case Study

If you don't set your sights too high immediately, you can start with cast
off Windows equipment destined for the solid waste stream. Our first
"server", still in use, is a Compaq Deskpro desktop P2/450mhz with 256mb of
ram running LTSP 1.0. The eight workstations it serves range from diskless
Pentium 133 boxes to Pentium 266 PCs, and we are working on slipping in
some 486s, P75s and P90s.

I am organizing a volunteer project which refurbs old boxes as LTSP
workstations and GNU/Linux PCs. The project is FREE GEEK Michiana
<mailto:frgeek-michiana freelists org> which is loosely affiliated with
FREE GEEK <http://www.freegeek.org/> in Portland, OR, a much more developed
program.

The project seeks socially beneficial organizations willing to donate space
in their buildings. Our first lab is in the basement of a Salvation Army
church in South Bend, IN. The second lab is in the Martin Luther King Jr.
Center in Michigan City, IN. The third lab sets up temporarily once per
month at Michiana Linux Users Group then goes back in a closet at the
public library until the next meeting. A fourth lab is scheduled for a
Methodist church basement. Except for the MLUG lab all are in poor
neighborhoods.

All equipment is donated by individuals and companies. We recently took
possession of 120 out-of-service 486 and Pentium 75-133 boxes.

Four labs appears to be our limit until we get funding or recruit and train
more volunteers. I too am looking for grant opportunities and have written
one grant application already. Unfortunately it was not funded. But I can
apply again in December.

Tom