Re: [K12OSN] request for k12ltsp kernel .config file....was linuxprogress patch

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Barry Smoke wrote:

> o.k....
> I'm a little confused.....
> the error I'm getting on the client is missing modules.dep in
> /lib/modules/2.4.18
>
> I used the config file to compile a kernel(no lpp), and did make
> dep;make clean;make bzImage;make modules;make modules_install
>
> then, I got to looking at the buildk utility in the initrd kit.  I saw
> that there is some special stuff it does to the initrd, so I used it to
> create my initrd, but still used the compiles bzImage kernel, and not
> the initrd_kit's kernel(with the mknbi)
>
> In the buildk script, I saw where it makes a modules.dep, and put's it
> in the initrd
>
> so, is the error I'm getting on my ltsp client because buildk is not
> getting the modules.dep in the initrd correctly, or because I don't have
> a modules.dep in /lib/modules/2.4.18
> I've never had to make a modules.dep file before for any kernel I've
> compiled...
> doesn't make modules_install do this for you?

No, usually, the modules.dep file gets built when you boot your
linux box.  As part of the rc.sysinit script.

But, with LTSP, it doesn't do that as part of the boot, it does
that when you build the initrd, with the buildk script.

The modules.dep file is needed by the 'modprobe' command, so it
can figure out what modules are dependencies of other modules.

Try mounting the initrd image, and poke around there and see if
you can find the modules.   You should be able to figure out where
the file is, based on the buildk script.

> I think I'm going to write my own How-To for this when I'm
> done.....(Idiot's version :-)

That would be great.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org