Re: [K12OSN] request for k12ltsp kernel .config file....was linuxprogress patch

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Barry Smoke wrote:

> here's what's happening for us.....
>
> setting up loopback device
> modprobe: Can't open Dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.18/modules.dep
> (no such file or directory)
>
> then all hell breaks out from there ...
>
> so, I went back to the buildk script, and commented out where it
> unmounts the initrd.
> then I went to /mnt/initrd, and looked in lib/modules/2.4.18
> and there is a modules.dep file there...
> Just for fun, I copied that modules.dep file to the root
> filesystem(/lib/modules/2.4.18/)
> but no change, still the above error.
>
> So, since the modules.dep file is there, but the kernel can't find it...
> what is going on?
>
> here my pxelinux.cfg/default file:
>
> label linux
>   kernel vmlinuz-2.4.18-ltsp-nolpp
>   append root=/dev/ram0 rw init=/linuxrc initrd=initrd-2.4.18-ltsp-nolpp

When you build your kernel, have you modified your Makefile
to have '-ltsp-nolpp' in the EXTRAVERSIONS ?

if so, then your modules should be in "/lib/modules/2.4.18-ltsp-nolpp"

> and the client lists that kernel as the one booting.....
> the 3c59x module loads previously to this, from /lib/modules/2.4.18, I'm
> guessing because it is called directly

modprobe looks in /proc/version to see the name of the current
kernel. It then uses that to figure out which directory to
get the modules from '/lib/modules/2.4.18.

> This is very frustrating....
> We don't understand why this is not working, yet the default kernel from
> k12ltsp works fine.
> That's why I wanted the config file from the k12ltsp kernel, because we
> thought we might be missing something hardware wise.
>
> I guess I need the complete steps Eric uses for his client kernels.

Eric doesn't build the kernels. I do, and i've provided you with
the ltsp_initrd_kit, which includes the scripts that I use, and the
.config files for my kernels.

Try adding 'INITRD_DBG=1' to your 'append' line for your kernel in
the pxelinux.cfg/default file.

Then, you'll get a shell prompt as soon as the /linuxrc script
starts executing.

>From there, you can poke around a bit, and see if your
modules.dep file is there.

You won't have 'ls', but you'll have 'echo', so you can do
things like this:

  cd /lib/modules/2.4.18
  echo *

and it should list any files in that directory.

I think you'll have 'cat' at that point, so you could
cat out the contents of modules.dep.

You can also do this:    cat /proc/version
to see what version of the kernel you are really running.

See what that shows you, and report back.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org