From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com] On Behalf Of Jared Irby
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 9:10 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: [K12OSN] Small School, Small Budget

Well, I am the "technical rep" for a pretty small school (approx. 200 students) and we need to get the computer lab back up. We have a computer lab with 22 computers (Pentium 100, 16 mb ram, all 10/100 NICs).  Right now all these computers are hooked into 2 hubs which are connected to a DSL modem and router.  We have about $1500 to spend.  We are either goning to spend it on licenses for Windows and Office as we  currently ony have 2 or 3 (yuck....) or on a K12LSTP sever.  From what I see, this project looks pretty promising.  I'm just wondering about compatability with Windows "edutainment" (Reader Rabbit, Math Blaster, etc). Also how fast will this setup be? Faster than Windows  95? I've installed a copy of Red Hat 7.3 configured with OpenOffice and a Mozilla and really impressed the people with spending power, so all I really have to make sure of is the speed and compatability.  I've priced a couple servers and I figure we have enough budget to build a dual Athlon 2000 MP system with a gig of ram and 2 raid 40 gig ATA 100 hard drives. Would this make our lab fast at all? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appriceated...

Oh I am setting up a test experiment with my personal computer at home running 2 workstations off of my 1.2 ghz Athlon w/ 256 mb of RAM. Would this experiment be about what the speed would be with 20 terminals hooked up to a fast server?

Thanks for reading this long message.

Jared Irby

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.