RE: [K12OSN] Small School, Small Budget

Well. I dont work for a school district persay. I am a student at
Benson High School (http://www.bensonhs.net). We love to play with
technology and I think our last copy of reader rabbit got tossed with
the 486's 2 years ago. I will call up some people at our District
office. Just need to do some searching.

Hey, Would you be intrested in sending me those "dated" binarys for
WineX? I am trying to get some stuff working on a linux box and want
to know if the subscription is really worth it.

And in the way of hardware on a budget (Try builing a lab on 500 bux,
Yes we are trying!)
Here are some links to some good dell deals:
http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatcher?
target=InventoryPage&action=filter&lob=POWER&model_search_and_display=
PowerEdge%201500%20SC&tgtSeg=B&srcType=xml&srcDetail=series

Try custom building a Dell Poweredge 1500 SC. I just setup one at
work, nice dual P3 system. It runs well and supports oodles of stuff.
Cost us 1400 with 1 P3 1.13 ghz proc, 512 DDR, 2 36gb 10k SCA-SCSI,
the little extras.

Another option is to custom build a server. There are plenty of dual
mobo's at good prices on pricewatch. I would be happy to spec out all
the parts for you to build your self.

William J McCloskey
Benson TechNEt Admin

> If someone can hit me up with reader rabbit I can try to make it
> work. I have had luck with most programs via some tweaking of the
> code weavers edition of wine.
>
> > As far as compatibility with Reader Rabbit and the sort, you’re
not
> > gonna have a lot of luck. I’ve got a teacher who let me switch her
> > workstation to redhat and she loves it more than windows –only I
> never
> > hear the end of it for her milly fitzwilly and reader rabbit not
> > working. If anyone has done this LET ME KNOW AND I WILL PAY YOU
> MONEY
> > (I’m lying about the paying part). I say you are in the ideal
> > situation
> > for ltsp. As far as speed, you won’t be able to beat it. Ltsp
will
> be
> > faster than win95 hands down. For server hardware I might add that
> > memory should also be a big focus. The rule of thumb has been to
> > allocate at least 50 megs of ram per client. For 22 machines you
> will
> > need more than that one gig and remember that you must also
allocate
> > plenty for the server itself. If you’re planning on working with
big
> > apps like open office a lot, you might need to look at even more
> ram. I
> > would also opt for scsi drives instead of ide. The ide drives
will
> big a
> > big bottleneck especially when running open office and the sort.
> know
> > you’re like the rest of us and have a stretched budget :-) so
maybe
> > you
> > can sacrifice size for speed if need be. As far as your test at
> home,
> > that should be good to begin with but keep in mind 256 mb ram and
2
> > terminals will really be stretched so expect better from a
server.
> Hope
> > some of this helps.
> >

> > Caleb Wagnon, MCP
> > Fordyce School District
> > Office of Technology
> > Fordyce, Arkansas 71742
> > (870) 352-2968
> >
> > The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I installed
LINUX.