Re: [K12OSN] Supporting Macs on a Linux server

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, David Bucknell wrote:

> "If you do use Linux, do  you use it in a Macintosh environment and how do
> you find the Netatalk solution working on your network for older boxes
> versus OS X? Do you use Red Hat or YellowDog or what ever distribution?

I have been using netatalk in a production printing company
(lots of pre OS/X hosts used by the graphic artists in the
Art Department) for the last five years -- utterly
reliable, no data loss.  I use a Red Hat based setup base, and
lots of my own variants of packages from:
   ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/local/ORC/

I am in process specing out rolling a WebDAV (sort of a
browser based CVS for people who are non-technical) for them
with a Linux backend.  Another part of the operation is
getting a local custom 'ltsp-ish' setup as a means to add
seats on acst off workstations without the capital and
license tax costs.

> Do any of you find the NFS a good solution with Mac OS X or is it still
> better for your school to still run an AppleTalk protocol versus TCP/IP? "

Dunno -- have not tested an NFS approach on OS/X -- no
compelling reason to do so.

-- Russ Herrold