[K12OSN] RE: Supporting Macs on Linux Server

David Bucknell wrote:

> I just received this question from a school superintendent -- the real
school
> policy setter -- asking about experience supporting Mac workstations on a
Linux
> server. I use samba to support wintel boxes, but have only read about
Netatalk
> until now. Could experienced users please respond?
>
> Here's the question, obviously backed up by a tech person who's done the
basic
> research:
>
> "If you do use Linux, do  you use it in a Macintosh environment and how do
> you find the Netatalk solution working on your network for older boxes
> versus OS X? Do you use Red Hat or YellowDog or what ever distribution?

I started with Netatalk almost 5 years ago on a 486 with 16 MB of RAM that
supported up to 30 simultaneous users on Macs with OS 7x and 8x. Other than
some very slow times saving when the class hit the server at once, it worked
great.  I eventually moved to a Pentium 233 MHz with 256MB which supported
up to 60 simultaneous users as well as the school's web server, real audio
server and email server.  The system was rock solid and the only failures
were UBFs.  That sever has been running for 4 years and I believe it's still
in use today.

Mark McCarty
mmccarty msd k12 or us