Re: [K12OSN] Manhattan (and STOA)

I certainly didn't mean to offend any hard-core Manhattan enthusiasts - I would agree (and I thought I said) that it can offer useful features right out of the box.

OTOH, I spent all of last year administering Manhattan courses for EVERY course we offer in grades 9-12 and on that scale it takes a fair amount of work. And I did get quite a few comments from faculty on the lack of content management features. That feedback was part of the reason we chose Zope/CMF for our efforts.

Further, it's tough (yes, I did look into it) to integrate Manhattan with other student information systems or databases. For us, this was a limitation, but I can see that in some environments it might not be.

A stripped down demo of our STOA (Student Teacher Online Application) environment is available at http://stoa.canterburyschool.org/stoa-demo with sample accounts on the login in page. It has almost no data, and some features, like our online reportcard writing, have been disabled, but you can get the idea.

We too are teachers (without a hefty grant, alas) and would also appreciate any comments and help that we can get. If we can ever get the installation process streamlined a bit, we intend to release STOA under the GPL.

Cheers,
Vern Ceder

David Bucknell wrote:
There is a newer version and Steve Narmontas, the developer of Manhattan who is
the tech guy at Western New England College, is actively working on a new
version which will have a centralized login system.

I actively use Manhattan and do not see it as limited, but rather free of
unwanted clutter, but strong on letting users focus on content -- which is what
it's all about.

I applaud you for wanting to develop your own system in Zope, and you're not
alone, but most schools can use Manhattan very profitably now. What it lacks and
needs it can get. Not only does W.N.E. College support it but Steve's got a
hefty grant supporting the development well. A full-featured quiz environment is
planned. Getting involved in its development as users-testers is a way for
teachers to start helping a viable open source project done by and for teachers.

I have a demo at http://members.iteachnet.org/manhat-bin/doorstep?class=tester
username: jjones
password: jjones

Best wishes,

David
==

Quoting Vern Ceder <vceder canterburyschool org>:

We used Manhattan last year. It was successful in that it allowed some of our faculty to see the potential of such a system and it was relatively easy to set up. It was also relatively easy for users to understand.

On the other hand, Manhattan does have several limitations :

1. you can't create subfolders to manage assignments

2. once an assignment has been responded to, it can't be deleted by a teacher

3. you have to log in separately to each class, which is a pain in a K12 environment where students have several different classes

4. it validates logins against it's own databases individually, which need to be managed course by course (I patched ours to validate off of our NT domain controller, but it never worked seamlessly

5. administrator/advisor/parent access to student information on that system was problematic

6. basically course management is VERY rudimentary

These comments apply to the 0.92.2 version that was current up to 6 months ago; I don't know if there is a newer version or how many of these issues it might have addressed.

Basicallly, we gave up on Manhattan and are developing our own system with Zope/CMF, which has given us much more functionality.

Vern

Cornerstone Christian School wrote:

Howdy.. anyone using Manhattan? I am just looking at it now. It is a
virtual classroom run off Linux and Apache, but from what I can see it
using IE for the teacher's manual... I would guess that you can use
Galeon, Mozilla or what have you instead...

Anyone tried it in a school situation and liked it?

http://manhattan.sourceforge.net/index.php?menu=1

TIA

Shauna

-- This time for sure! -Bullwinkle J. Moose ----------------------------- Vern Ceder, Director of Technology Canterbury School, 3210 Smith Road, Ft Wayne, IN 46804 vceder canterburyschool org; 260-436-0746; FAX: 260-436-5137