RE: [K12OSN] Re: Small School, Small Budget

It's been my experience that the Athlon MP and XP processors run very hot,
especially under a heavy load.  Heat is the single biggest killer of
server equipment.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Athlon, and in fact have a couple of
systems with Athlon XP 2100+ processors.

I'm really looking forward to their upcoming 'Hammer' lines of processors,
especially for server systems.

Right now though, unless you are conscious of the fact that an Athlon XP
or MP processor requires significantly more cooling than a comparable P4
and have taken steps to provide the required cooling for the processors, I
wouldn't use an Athlon in a server.

However, if you plan for the increased cooling requirements, the
processors are a very effective solution.  In fact, I believe that the
www.anandtech.com hardware review site uses primarily Athlon based servers
for their database and web servers, which are argueably very high load
systems.

Jeff