[K12OSN] Re: Small School, Small Budget

> From: "William McCloskey" <wj bensonhs pps k12 or us>
> To: <k12osn redhat com>
> Subject: RE: [K12OSN] Re: Small School, Small Budget
> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:20:48 -0800
>
> Why buy a single p4 when you can get dual AMD's for the same price?

For 22 users, I'd much rather have 2GB RAM and 1 "big" CPU than two "big"
CPUs and 1GB of RAM.

With 22 users you may not want all the client traffic going through 100Mbit
Ethernet.  The Tyan board has a Gigabit NIC that may be used in conjunction
with something like the Netgear FS726 24port of FS750 48 port 10/100 switch
with Gigabit uplink port(s).

I like AMD too, but from what I can see now, there is not much price
difference between Intel and AMD right now once you consider the price of
the whole server.

My opinion and $3 will get you a latte at Starbucks :-)