From: Eric Harrison
To: k12osn redhat com
Sent: 11/13/02 8:01 PM
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Supporting Macs on a Linux server

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Alan A Hodson wrote:

>If the district's switches have been programmed to not broadcast
appletalk,
>is this going to affect our using Netatalk down the road?
>
>Just curious and perplexed

Yes and no.

Macs are quite broadcast happy, but they can be used outside of
broadcast
domains as well.

A fair percentage of our Macs are distributed out on hundreds of
different
subnets. Our desktop support folks just connect to the server via its
domain name (it's something like "Server IP Address" in the chooser,
it's
been a few weeks since I've looked at a Mac I can't remember the
details)
and then make aliases on the desktop. The users then click on the
desktop
shortcuts rather than using the chooser to connect to the server.

All of the printers in their subnet show up in their chooser,  so it all
works out.

If I had to deal with a situation where Macs had to print to remote
printers, I'd probably just drop a clunky old box onto that subnet and
use CUPS/Netatalk to make the remote printers appear to be local.

-Eric