Re: [K12OSN] Server

Daniel Loomis wrote:
Konstantin,

I do not doubt that using the Tyan S2460 in a rackmount Beowolf cluster results in a lot of heat related problems. That could very well account for some of the spurious problems you mentioned. . . especially on those highest in the rack!

No, I seriously doubt that -- internal sensors show temperatures WELL within hysteresis. We've also tried unracking those systems and placing them RIGHT in front of the air vent -- same results. We can safely say that it's not the temperature.

The newer S2466N is not without its problems (usb conflicts), but they appear to have been fixed in the latest models. They are, however, about $60-70 more than the S2460. The one gotcha with dual AMD boards is the need to use registered ECC DDR RAM. Definitely NOT the cheapest RAM on the block, i.e., about $500 per gigabyte.

Right, ECC DDR is all we use. It's funny how research grants are handled -- they *have* to spend a certain amount of money. :) We have our beowulf czars currently blaming the electrical system. We'll see what they say after it's rewired.

Regards,
--
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
Duke University Physics Sysadmin