Re: [K12OSN] Still can't get network working

Hello Dave,

The very first step is to make sure you have the network cards connected
correctly and working.

Run ifconfig and you should see ip #'s for both cards. eth0 should be
192.168.0.254, eth1 should be from your own network. Then test things by
pinging another card or location on the network. You could even ping
www.yahoo.com. If that works, unplug the cable from eth0 and see if your
ping still works. If it does then you can be sure that you've really got
eth1 and eth0 straight.

Next, put a computer with a static address on the eth0 lan and see if
you can ping the server at 192.168.0.254. Give the computer an address
with something like 192.168.0.100, netmask = 255.255.255.0
gw=192.168.0.254, dns-192.168.0.254.

If you can't ping the server with a static address then there is
something wrong with
a) your hub
b) cable on eth0 on server
c) cable to computer
d) card in server
e) card in computer

Basic trouble shooting stuff here but it's got to be done. If you CAN
ping then make sure dhcpd is on. "service dhcpd status". If not, start
it with "service dhcpd start."

Once dhcpd is running and you know your network hardware is good you
should see those dhcp requests coming in via a tail -f
/var/log/messages. If not then something is wrong with the setup on the
client. Try some other hardware to confirm...

If it still doesn't work at this point, it's time to take a walk and
start all over again later. ;-)