Re: [K12OSN] Disk corruption

Todd O'Bryan wrote:

Any ideas why it's happening? Is there anything I can do quickly and cheaply to help? I'm thinking the problem could be heavy use of the disk when the server runs out of memory...Is there any way to limit each user's memory use so that I'm less likely to need virtual memory on the drive? I teach programming in C++, so if students forget to delete their pointers, they could end up with nasty memory leaks. In fact, I ran a program that, in an infinite loop just kept asking for more memory and it eventually started using the hard drive. I'd prefer that after say 100MB of use it would give an out of memory error.

See: http://www.doc.eng.cmu.ac.th/ldp/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/x4733.html For howto use "ulimit" to decrease the maximum memory ussage for users.

Also, which Filesystem type are you using? ext2?

-chip