[K12OSN] problems starting client

I'm trying to set up old computers to use as clients.  I have them use a
floppy start to boot from the network and once I finally figured out the
right image it started to boot from the network only it gets so far into the
process and then the screen goes blank for about 7 seconds and then it
attempts that section again (and this repeats).

The /var/log/messages on the server shows after awhile a message that the
init is running wild so it will disable it for a few minutes.  On the screen
of the client when that message appears the screen doesn't go blank for some
time so I can finally read what it is saying.  Most of it looks like normal
bootup stuff except for them end.  It says:

fatal server error:
no screens found

The line right above it talks about not detecting a mouse (though there is a
mouse there, but an older serial mouse).

Any suggestions on what I might be missing or how to better debug what is
going on here?

Jay