Re: [K12OSN] Re: [Ltsp-discuss] New LTSP + openMosix How-To

Yes.  Exactly.  This is certainly an option worth exploring in several
cases (namely, if your server processor capacity is too limited and it's
getting overloaded, Richard's recommendation would definitely be worth
looking at, IMHO).  It's something I've advocated a number of times myself,
FWIW...

Along the same lines but worthy of mention is the fact that LTSP makes a
wonderful means of getting an openMosix cluster up & running in
minutes--eliminating the need for otherwise installing a full Linux
distribution & openMosix kernel on each client.  For those that are simply
interested in this type of project (those and do not need a GUI running on
their LTSP clients but only want to build a cluster fast) a simple
modification of lts.conf and your ready to go.  Just set RUNLEVEL = 3
instead of 5 and that's it.  Clients boot w/o Xwindows and ta-da, instant
om cluster.

BTW, I installed the 2.4.19-7 openMosix kernels on K12LTSP 2.1.2 and they
worked without a hitch.  No more hanging up during the boot process.

On another (off-topic) note, I also got my old(er) WineX 2.1.1 RPM loaded
on this same system and it's running some of the Windows edutainment
applications I have perfectly one the server.  It's great!  In fact, they
will run on the LTSP clients too but I'm having sound problems <sigh>...

The WineX LTSP test client is a piece of junk.  It's an old 486, 24MB of
RAM w/ a Cirrus Logic video chip displaying a maximum 800x600 resolution in
16-bit color. It only has one PCI slot (holding the 10/100 NIC), the rest
are ISA. No way this particular piece of windows edutainment would run on a
local install of win9x on this box, the minimum requirements are P166 w/
32MB Ram...  LTSP makes a throw-away PC usable again. ;-)

James Jensen
LTSP+openMosix+WineX