Re: [K12OSN] newbie needs help with squidguard

> Richard Ingalls wrote:
>
> Help!  I'm a newbie to Linux and I don't know how to get squidguard
> configured and running on my k12LTSP experimental lab.  I'm using
> k12LTSP version 2.1.2 and it's totally useless to me if I can't filter
> out inappropriate websites.
>
> I tried to run the squidguard rpm, but it said I needed squid and some
> berkeley "lib" something or other.  I go to those websites and they
> tell me I also need to have perl.  Each of these sites have info on
> configuring their app, but it's getting a little confusing for me.
>
> What do I need do in order to filter out inappropriate web content?
> Can anyone step me through this?

I just did this last week and I've already forgotten where I found half
of the information. In any case, I think you'll probably find what you
need on the following sites. IIRC all the configs needed to make it work
are in /etc/squid/squid.conf and /etc/squid/squidguard.conf. While
setting up a transparent proxy is a little more involved, doing it the
manual way (ie. manually forcing web browsers to use a proxy) is a one
liner in squid.conf.

http://squidguard.mesd.k12.or.us/
http://www.squidguard.org/

--