Re: [K12OSN] Re: [Ltsp-discuss] New LTSP + openMosix How-To

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 11:45:48PM -0800, James Jensen wrote:
> --- Utsav Pardasani <pardasaniman yahoo com> wrote:
> > Hello friends.  I am thinking of including openmosix on our network with
> > LTSP.
> >
> > My possible clients are a group of 166Mhz machines.  What sort of setup
> > would cause openMosix to
> > give a boost over the standard K12LTSP setup.

[...]

> >  If a machine is runnning a
> > process, for another,
> > will that process be nullified if that machine is shutdown?
>
> Yes & no, I've done some limited testing, forcing processes to run on
> specific nodes (LTSP clients) and then just dropping that node by powering
> it off.  In most instances, since the process has vanished with the node
> you will see it hang on the system the lost node was running it for.
> Strangely, at other times it keeps right on going.

Have you asked on the mosix lists how that can even happen?

> > Basically my question is --> Is is a good idea to use openmosix in
> > diskless environment.  If not,
> > what is it meant for?
>
> That depends on what you are trying to do.
>
> 1. Cluster everything (server & clients) in a user production environment?
> I would say no (as much as that pains me to say).  Not unless you're
> positive regarding the impact of client nodes dropping out of the cluster
> on the rest of your clients...

If you have really fast clients, consider using local apps (not local
drives!) instead.

> 2. Balance the load on the backend, the LTSP server in a user production
> environment?  My answer is yes!  This can be achieved quite easily.  And,
> since no one had better be turning off your servers you won't lose migrated
> processes.

Note that most applications in the "desktop-productivity" class (OO,
Mozilla comes to mind) will tend to not migrate. Actually I THINK OO
and Mozilla CANNOT migrate because of issues with shared memory. In
any case should programs that use much user "realtime" I/O (screen
refreshs, sound etc) be *slower* if they do migrate. (Please correct
me if I am wrong here James).

Investigate wether or not the applications the users will run will
actually migrate or not before investing too much in openMosix.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans sociologi cjb net>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E