Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP server spec

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Meelis Saar wrote:

> So - you are running <20 clients with 3GB??
> Can you send me memory usage (for example "free") with full amount of
> clients logged in?
>
> I planned 60 clients with xfce desktop with 4GB RAM :)
> I tried vith various amounts of RAM and i think, it eats as many as you
> give ;(

Linux will always eat all the ram you give it -- the question
is whether it is swapping or thrashing into the virtual ram
which a hard drive swap file represents.  So long as it is
not, you are fine there.

Jim Wildman was over at my shop the other day, and we were
looking at and monitoring on a live installation.  I tossed a
design piece here on the topic which provoked no response,
proposing to get 'real' metrics.

  copy at: http://www.owlriver.com/tips/capacity-sampling/

Using the concepts of that piece, we 'went hunting' to find
the real culprits.  It turned out that the real killers were
the screensaver, and process context switches induced in
servicing the screensaver -- top and vmstat showed it off
quite well.

So the best performance enhancer for that installation would
be a daemon to kill off when a given selection starts to
really consume resources.

-- Russ Herrold