Re: [K12OSN] Re: [Ltsp-discuss] New LTSP + openMosix How-To

James Jensen wrote:

[...]   While I have reached the tentative conclusion that clustering clients with the
server(s) is probably not a good solution (unless you can gaurentee that
the users won't just hit the ol' power button on their client systems when
they want to quit), clustering the backend machines, IMHO, is still an
avenue worthy of exploration.

There may be a work-around for this ;

I am wondering if, via APM, we can still shut down cleanly, either via the power button, or by server intervention.

It should be relatively trivial to have the server ssh the client and execute `halt`. If this can be wrought, then maybe the 'login screen' option of 'halt the machine' can be implemented..

Also, I can setup my BIOS to veto the PCs' (terminals') power button, so maybe it could signal the server that way.. and the server would then ssh back to the terminal and shut it down.

I admit this is in the realm of "hacking X", but there's the idea anyway..

Also, this does not address the issue of larger apps viz mozilla and openoffice being fundamentally 'un-migrateable'.

I do note that there is not much talk on this list of the 'local apps' facility in K12LTSP, so I am wondering if this would be a solution for the higher-powered terminals.

cheers all, Steve