Re: [K12OSN] password protecting browser use?

Joseph Morelock wrote:

Steve,

I, for one, would love to look at the scripts (and docs, files, etc) you wrote to make this work. Every once in a while, we get a parent who doesn't want their child on the Internet, and it would be great to be able to manage this a little more easily.

Ok. Sorry I took so long to get back to you - it's been mayhem here this week..

here's the scripts and the .conf files. http://linuxathome.ath.cx/squid-auth.tar.gz

This package requires squidGuard installed and running first.

To install squidauth;

Unpack to a temporary directory first ;

# mkdir tempdir
# cd tempdir
# tar -xvzf ../squid-auth.tar.gz

and copy the files to their correct locations ;

# cp /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /usr/local/sbin/
# cp squidauth /usr/local/sbin/
# cp squidauth.cron /etc/cron.hourly/squidauth.cron
# cp /etc/squid/squid.conf /etc/squid/squid.conf.backup
# cp squid.conf /etc/squid/squid.conf

Create two new groups called "staff" and "student". (Click 'K' - 'System" - "Kuser")

Now simply add your Linux account-holders to either the "student" or the "staff" groups as is relevant..

Next, restart squid - # service squid restart

You can customise squid.conf to change the restrictions on these classes of users (staff and students) as squid will allow you to customise this heavily.

At this point, if everything worked, you can test by running the squidauth script by hand. In normal operation, this will not be required, as the cron entry will update hourly.

The script should say nothing at all, unless there is an error.

I think this is all correct - repost if there's an error. If there is a problem, and you would like shut the squidauth system down, simply # cp /etc/squid/squid.conf.backup /etc/squid/squid.conf - and # service squid restart

Now test, by pointing your browser at any website. You should have a window pop up and ask for your Linux username/password to proceed.

If any of the package-integrators would like to add this to K12LTSP, please feel free. 8-)

HTH, Steve