Re: [K12OSN] Re: [Ltsp-discuss] New LTSP + openMosix How-To

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 05:39:47PM +1300, Steve Wright wrote:
> James Jensen wrote:
>
> >[...]   While I have reached the tentative conclusion that clustering
> >clients with the
> >server(s) is probably not a good solution (unless you can gaurentee that
> >the users won't just hit the ol' power button on their client systems when
> >they want to quit), clustering the backend machines, IMHO, is still an
> >avenue worthy of exploration.
> >

> There may be a work-around for this ;
>
> I am wondering if, via APM, we can still shut down cleanly, either via
> the power button, or by server intervention.
>
> It should be relatively trivial to have the server ssh the client and
> execute `halt`.  If this can be wrought, then maybe the 'login screen'
> option of 'halt the machine' can be implemented..

Have you ever got halt in LTSP (busybox) to actually DO something? And
sshd is also not running on the terminals (not even inetd).

> Also, I can setup my BIOS to veto the PCs' (terminals') power button, so
> maybe it could signal the server that way.. and the server would then
> ssh back to the terminal and shut it down.

The solution is not completely secure, since you cannot setup you BIOS
to veto the
"unplug-power-cable-user-which-like-to-kill-other-peoples-processes".
And the feature you mention is only available on ATX boxes, while many
terminals might be old AT ones.

> I admit this is in the realm of "hacking X", but there's the idea anyway..
>
> Also, this does not address the issue of larger apps viz mozilla and
> openoffice being fundamentally 'un-migrateable'.
>
> I do note that there is not much talk on this list of the 'local apps'
> facility in K12LTSP, so I am wondering if this would be a solution for
> the higher-powered terminals.

With LTSP 4 there will be significantly easier to setup local apps for
that kind of terminals.

--

Hans Ekbrand