[K12OSN] Kernel Panic - can't find NIC

Hi,

One of my clients has been having trouble booting.  At first, etherboot
couldn't find the NIC.  I've noticed that this problem is often reported
when the ethernet cable is bad, but that's not the case this time (I
swapped with a known good cable).

The client is a circa 1996 DELL 586, 133MHz.  I've got 22 of them.

Thinking the NIC itself went bad, I bought another one.  Best Buy had
some Netgear FA311's (PCI, 10/100) on sale, so I picked up one of those
($5.00 after rebates).  Then I made a boot floppy at rom-o-matic and
fired it up.

EB detects the NIC OK, the DHCP server is found, and the kernel is
loaded.  But then the kernel cannot detect the NIC.  I don't remember
the exact wording of the error message, but it suggests that PCI NICs
should be detected automatically (and this is a PCI NIC), but that I
need to spec some option-129 stuff if this is an ISA NIC.

Perhaps my problem was not a bad NIC after all?  Anyone care to weigh in
on this one?

jthomas bittware com  http://www.bittware.com          (703) 779-7770
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.