[K12OSN] RH 8.0 LTSP Desktop Help needed

I loaded up a version of LTSP and RH8.0 I downloaded last week and have
run into a dead end in rolling it out.I am looking to replace 30 Citrix
stations running M$ with LTSP and Citrix and have added things on the
desktop like Open Office, Mozilla, Gimp etc to give the users a chanch
to use Open Source. I built this nice desktop under Gnome running as
Root, got a couple printers installed, got Citrix running now how do I
get this Desktop to be presented when a workstation logs in? Actually I
think there are several issues.
1. How do I get desktop icons to appear on a new log in desktop?
2. How do I get changes such as color etc to the new desktop.
Looking in the home directory of a newly created user I see the files
that set up their envionrment.such as .gnome-desktop that are created
when the user is. I really want a standard desktop for all users,
unchangeble by the users I am wondering if there is a way to point all
new users to a default setup (Read-Only) I expect to map their $Home to
a NFS volume for file storage so that would not be a problem. If no
solution using one default setup is found then  I need to change how
their default desktop is built and maintain a seperate indentical
directory for each.
I cannot seem to locate from RH or LTSP any indepth information on the
make user process that would explain how the desktop is built. As its
tnads now I have this beutiful desktop under Root and three items under
a new user. HELP!!!!
Mike Oligney
Lowell Area Schools