Re: [K12OSN] Kernel Panic - can't find NIC

Hi Jim,

I sent an e-mail to Henning Petersen Wangerin with info that may help.

Old hardware with old PCI and poor PNP.

Try creating a custom boot rom from rom-o-matic. You have to use
hardware detection of the NIC because PNP wasn't implemented well back
then.

As an aside......and this is what I think may be causing all the
problems.

For PNP to work you need 3 things.
1) a PNP bios
2) a PNP card
3) a PNP operating system

Most of the older Pentium motherboards didn't have PNP in bios. A lot
didn't implement PCI to spec (the spec was still developing).

Sorry I can't be more specific on exactly how to go about this. I
haven't created a custom rom image in over a year, so I'm working from
memory.

Hope this helps.

Bert